Thursday, February 14, 2008

the flu and 1 Thessalonians

Welll it looks like the flu finally caught up with me. I thought I may have escaped it but looks like I failed, or I guess I should say my immune system failed. I don't feel terrible yet but it is progressively getting worse. All is good though I am just hoping that it won't be as bad as my near death experience last august on the way back from NYC. Anyways one thing that I am thankful for in this sickness is the down time that I am forced to have. Tonight I took some time to watch a video from Passion 2007. It as the talk that Louie Giglio did the last night we were there and it actually was the talk that God spoke to me and called me into full-time life-long devotion to him so I just wanted to watch it again and relive a very very good memory in my life. The root of that message and the verse that God used to move my heart was Acts 1:8 "but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be my witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth." 
God pretty much just brought me to a point that night where He took what I couldn't give and made my life goal to be His witness wherever he may take me. As Louie said I may not know where I am going or when I am going but I will always know who I am going with. 
As I thought back on 2007 and how Acts 1:8 had been my theme verse I began to think what I wanted my theme verse for 2008 to be. Granted I know that it is over half way through February but God had not made my theme verse for the year clear yet and I did not want to just pick some random verse. So yesterday considering I did not feel like moving off of the couch I decided to watch a movie... and for those of you who know me you know that this is a rare occasion in the life of me... but my sweet friend Amanda had rented The Hiding Place and I had not watched that movie since junior high so I popped it in and as I watched God moved my heart through the attitude of these women who endured this awful crime of the Holocaust. The thing that stuck our more than anything was that Betsy never complained. When Corrie told her that she would never give thanks for the lice Betsy told her that God said in EVERYTHING give thanks, and that mindset is rooted in 1 Thess. 5:16-18. This moved me and God made it clear to me that this was to be my theme verse for 2008. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 reads, " Rejoice always; pray continuously; give thanks in ALL circumstances; for this is Gods will for you in Christ Jesus."
At this point in my life where I am having the hardest time discerning Gods will for my life this verse brings so much comfort, for no matter what I do or where I go, God's will for me will always be to rejoice always, pray continuously and give thanks in all circumstances. How I long to be a woman who does that. With grace I shall hope to grow in this verse this year. Oh that He would break my heart for what breaks His. I truly have nothing to complain about, for there is no pit so deep that God is not deeper still. 

No comments: