Saturday, February 9, 2008

greater things have yet to come


So Peyton wrote a blog about our city adventures so I figured I might as well too.
So Pey and I went to this place in the highlands last night and sat and watched the sun set over the city. It is the best view of birmingham ever. I love it! So as we sat there we talk about God and about all of the people that we saw driving home after a busy day at work and we wished we could knew what everyone lived for. I met a guy in one of my classes the other day who is an atheist. He thinks this life is it. No heaven, no hell, just earth. How sad. He is living for the moment, and for himself. I meet so many people who are so far from God and the more I get out into the city the more I see the depravity of our city, and our world for that matter. Anyways we just sat there and watched the sunset and pondered with the idea that someone could actually believe that somehow that just happens every night... and that somehow it rises right back up every morning, all by itself. I mean how can you not know that God makes the sun rise every morning, and opens his hand and provides for every living thing. It just made me so so thankful that God chose me. he chose me to see life, true life that makes life on this earth look so dim. Looking down on our city reminded me how depraved we are. i looked into the distance and saw the skyscrapers ( if you can call them that in bham) and all of the people in them who were strving for their own power and fame, then I looked to the left and saw 5 points with all of the clubs where people go to dishonor their bodies that they don't even own. It just made me remember that even in our small city on any given day there is so much sin, and Jesus Christ was perfect enough that he could take all of that sin from every city in every country from every day past and future on his shoulders on the cross and provide a sufficient sacrifice. It blows my mind and demands my face to the earth. For how else can I respond to a love like that. How can you look into the face of Christ and not give Him your life. All of it, for his kingdoms cause. So as Chris Tomlin sings... greater things are yet to come and greater things are still to be done in this city. I have to be a light, I need nothing but grace to do His will. 

1 comment:

THE storyteller said...

Just wanna say thanks for this post. I dont know how I stumbled onto this blog but im sure it's God plans. Anw i have been thinking bout this atheist problem for a long time now. And sadly to say it's shaken my faith a little. But after reading your post, i feel much better. Keep praying for this world. All is not lost.

Greater things have yet to come, greater things have yet to be done in this (whole earth).