Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Listen


So last night some pretty hardcore storms came through Birmingham. I woke up once when the power went out because I sleep with a fan and when the fan stops up I go. I looked outside and remember thinking man it is raining soooo hard... and then it came. I'm pretty sure the bolt hit my apartment building. My bed shook and there was no time at all between the bright blue flash and the splitting of the air by the heat of that ferocious lightning strike. I don't think it stopped lightning for about 20 minutes after that. Continuos flash flash flash of bright blue and green light followed by peels and and occasional pop of thunder. As I lay there all I could think of was the passage in Job where Elihu talks about the voice of God in the thunder. I fell back asleep listening to the voice of my Father telling me of His power and might. Now that is what I call an awesome bedtime story. Turns out there was tornadoes all around me and most of my friends were in their basements... thanks for the call guys... but all in all God was in control... and shouting it loud and proud.

"Listen closely to the thunder of His voice, and the rumbling that goes out from His mouth. Under the whole heavens He lets it loose, and His lightning to the ends of the earth. After it, a voice roars; He thunders with His majestic voice, and He does not restrain the lightnings when His voice is heard. God thunders with His voice wondrously, doing great things which we cannot comprehend."

and I just noticed the next part... and it fits so ironically because I just walked out on my porch and there is about 1/11116 inch of snow on my rails. Yesterday it was 75 degrees out and tonight.. snow

Elihu continues,
" For the snow he says, 'Fall on the Earth,' and to the downpour and the rain, 'Be Strong.'"

and in verse 13 sums it all up with,
" Whether for correction, or for His world, or for lovingkindness, He causes it to happen."



1 comment:

Ann Marie said...

we thought about calling you Rach as we were in the church conference room...that SCOTT made us leave and go to! ;)