Friday, March 14, 2008

What is my reward?

So Gretchen and I were talking this morning about materials and just stuff. And I was thinking about something that Jeremiah Burroughs said in his book that I am reading. The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment. He was talking about what our reward is. If we as Christians truly do see being in heaven in the presence of God with nothing but ourselves and God as our reward, then why do we not live more like that on this earth. I fall way guilty of this most of the time. I do see Christ as my true reward so why do I put things in my life, stuff and material possessions, that I will not have in heaven. Point being: If my ultimate goal is heaven, me and God, nothing else, why don't I love more like it here on earth. So going back to one of my first blogs about the new year, I am glad God has called me to change some things in my life and focus more on simplicity. 
A verse I have been pondering and will comment on more later is this:
"Likewise I want women to dress modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments, but rather by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness."
           - 1 Timothy 2:9-10

1 comment:

Peyton said...

im totally right there with you. i really struggle with this. like when my phone broke in half and i lost all my camp pictures and then my whole facebook hacking situation, i really started to examine my heart and motives. after my phone broke me, and mom were talking and i was telling her that all these possessions are just materials, they wont last. im glad i cant get on facebook, well, not glad, but im kind of ok with it. Jesus is totally way more important. these verses are good too: "Keep away from ANYthing that might take Gods place in your hearts." 1john 5:21 and "For this world is not our home, we are looking foward to a home yet to come."

love you girl sorry it was so long