Saturday, November 1, 2008

Blessed be the Name of the Lord

I love how Job says this after it seems like everything has been taken away from him. Such a humbling reminder. Everything is the Lords. Nothing we have is ours, so who are we to be upset when it is taken away. Now granted God does not expect us to never be sad when something we enjoy or love is taken away. He is not a God with a stick waiting to smack us when we are perfect. He understands. He left heaven, came to earth and lived among us, flesh Himself...I think that qualifies Him as understanding. But it is when we place so much value in our possessions that we lose focus of what really matters, His glory, that He is disappointed in us.

It is all just stuff. We came with nothing. We will leave with nothing.

Something I love has been taken away. Upset? yes. Angry? no. The Lord knows what I need, and when I need it and in my eyes this is something I need right now, but I cannot see past this breath, as much as I like to think I can sometimes, I simply cannot. He is outside of time. He knows no limits and everything in the earth is His. If he wanted me to have it, I would. He is not God who plays tricks on us. He is a good Father, a perfect one in fact, who knows how to give amazingly awesome gifts, even gifts that come in the form of taking a possession away.

So even though I am minus something that meant a lot to me, and in return I have to form some new habits, God is still God, and in the end it won't matter in eternity one bit. What will matter is how I spend my time. How much of it I use for myself, and how much I spend sitting at the feet of my Savior. I am a selfish person...to the utmost degree... but God is full of grace..and loves to lavish it down on us. What a gift indeed.

God has blessed me with physical possessions so much, as long as I can remember, but I have come to realize that the biggest gift he grants me is the grace to see the value of things the way He see it.

His glory= worth everything
Everything else (and yes I mean everything)=Worthless

Cuan Grande es Dios- How great is our God

No comments: