Monday, May 12, 2008

Structure determines function

I wish I could count how many times I have heard that phrase the past few days... It's my Biology teachers favorite phrase.. I will never forget this fact. This has a point.... we have been doing a Bible study to prepare for our Dominican Republic trip in the summer. It brought up an awesome point that got me thinking. It said that the amount of faith you have in God depends on how much you know Him. How true is that.. I mean think about it. If you go to the doctor and he diagnosis you with a heart condition then proceeds to tell you that he spent 4 years in the cardiovascular center of Duke Research Hospital and that he specialized in vascular defects... you know have a much larger amount of faith that he will be able to help you than you did before he told you his credentials. Its the same way with God... the more we learn about Him... through His Word.. the more faith we will have in Him.. and as Romans 14 says "whatever is not of faith is sin." So therefore more faith=less sin. Oh how this should make us long for more faith. The more faith we have the less we will dishonor the name of God. And if Isaiah 26:8 rings true with us and the fame and renown of God is the desire of our souls how much more should this challenge you to dive into the Word of our God... I have become so very selfish in my faith these days... I worry about what I need to do or what I supposedly need and just throw God and His fame to the back burner... I need a dose of faith...the remedy? Seek His face in prayer and the Word.. and even that desire only can come from Him.. so pretty much we are totally dependent... duh... for even the will to seek Him... I hope this jumbled mess makes a little sense and provides a small dose of encouragement... Blessed be the Lord who seeks us cause otherwised... I'm doomed.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Thanks - I needed that reminder. We've had some rough situations in the past couple of weeks, and some potentially rough situations on the horizon came up today and scared me badly. I told God that I couldn't take any more of those type of situations right now. But you're right - there truly IS nothing to be afraid of, because I know that He is in control, and just like He was in control of 2 weeks ago when we would have never chosen those circumstances, He is in control of anything that might or might not happen in the future.
Thanks - really - this really uplifted me a ton.