Friday, December 26, 2008

A Few Christmas Thoughts

I know Christmas is over but I just had some random thoughts last night as I was lying in bed that I thought I'd write down since I am here at the church by myself with really nothing to do...

Isn't it funny that at Christmas time everyone sings songs of Christ and His birth whether they know Him or not. They don't think twice about it. I passed people in the mall on Wednesday singing Silent Night-Joy to the World etc. and it just kind of hit me. Do they know joy...real joy.. or what happened that night? They know the songs and do not hesitate to sing about it, but do they know? A lot of who sing don't know the One they sing about. Just goes to show how easy it is to put on a mask that says "I have it under control" and "This Christian thing is easy". I think especially living in the South it is so easy to say or claim one thing and live another.

Second random thought- I had to stop by Walgreen's yesterday to get something for Christmas lunch and since it was the only place open on Christmas day I found myself on an isle that contain everything from mac and cheese to laundry detergent to light bulbs. Multi purpose to the max I guess... but then I went over to the "cold isle" to get milk and notice a man standing at the frozen dinners and for some reason it just made my heart hurt. He was an older man...probably 50s maybe 60s deciding on a frozen dinner for Christmas lunch. And I just thought I wonder how many people are like him today. No family- trading in the turkey, ham and dressing for a lean cuisine...now considering my circumstances I could not invite him to dinner with us, but it just made me question how good of a job the church is doing. I know I am so convicted of the bubble I hide in. My little SMI bubble. I seldom reach out of it to love on those who are not around me. I know it is probably cliche and may even sound a little naive of me but wouldn't it be awesome if, because of the church, there wasn't anyone who had to spend Christmas alone. We have the Remedy...why do we chose to hoard it so much? I am the guiltiest of us all at hiding within the shadow of my own comfort. It just made me think about it. The day that I spent with family and more food than could have possibly been eaten was not so plesant for everyone. There were empty hearts-empty stomachs.

Just food for thought... OH and to end my walgreens experience the guy checking out after me began placing bottles of Imodium AD on the counter...I started counting...18 bottles... I guess Grandma's cooking didn't go over so well.

1 comment:

Peyton said...

oh rachel. good thoughts. so true. (about the imodium) ha jk.

it was excellent to spend time with you today. more of that to come soon.